BAND 4 – Registrar and Executive Director
Vancouver, BC V8W 2S8 CA (Primary)
$87,600.00 – $114,100.00 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Attorney General
Ministry Branch / Division
Property Assessment Appeal Board
Registrar and Executive Director
Management Band 4
This position is excluded from union membership.
An eligibility list may be established.
A high profile leadership role with an administrative tribunal for a dedicated professional
The Property Assessment Appeal Board (”the Board”) is an independent, quasi-judicial administrative tribunal established under the Assessment Act. The Board is the second level of appeal for property assessments throughout the province. The Board uses facilitative dispute resolution techniques to settle as many appeals as possible without a hearing. Short of an appeal on a point of law to the Supreme Court of BC, the Board is the final step in the appeal process. The Board receives 2,500 to 3,500 appeals each year. The total assessed value of all properties currently before the Board is approximately $47 billion. The Board faces the challenge of a high volume of appeals with considerable variations in content and complexity.
The Registrar is the Chief Financial Officer for the Board and reports to the Chair.
1) Is responsible for the financial management of the Board including allocating resources, approval of Board member expenditures and management of Board spending within the Board’s $1.4 million limit.This requires knowledge of accounting and budgeting principles and techniques, including the ability to prepare budget forecasting, monitoring of accounts receivables/payables, and invoicing.
2) Directs the Board’s registry and makes procedural determinations including the dismissal of appeals.
3) Is responsible for managing all Human Resources and five administrative staff.
4) Leads management of information technology projects, including the Board’s innovative Solution Explorer, Online Dispute Resolution, and electronic case management projects.
5) Negotiates MOUs and manages relationships with partnership organizations, including responsibility for the operational aspects of the Surface Rights Board which is supported by the Property Assessment Appeal Board.
6) Resolves assessment appeals using alternative dispute resolution and case manages a portfolio of appeals.
7) Is responsible for processing requests made under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA) and records management, as well as processing any complaints through the Ombudsman’s office.
8) In conjunction with the Chair, takes a leadership role in innovation including managing complex, multi-organization initiatives and Stakeholder relations.
If you are looking for an exciting leadership opportunity and possess the required qualifications, we look forward to your application.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Steve.Guthrie@paab.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/58810
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- A post graduate degree from a school of recognized standing in a related area such as business administration, law, public administration or other related discipline. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
Senior management experience including three years experience in a managerial role supervising staff.
- Experience managing and preparing large budgets (in the order of $1 million+) including budget forecasting with the use of Excel.
- Experience managing and preparing contracts.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in:
- Administrative law and tribunal or quasi-judicial work.
- Leading and supporting the development of multifaceted projects, including innovation and Information Management Systems.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES – A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Information Management/Information Technology, Leadership and Management
For more information and to apply online please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/58810